Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Greetings Fellow brewers....

Just an update on the two Experimental meads.

After cleaning as sterilizing two carboys, I began with the Chocolate mead.

I removed the lid, and was instantly hit with a not so wonderful smell. Kinda putrid smelling but after a few more minutes, you could tell there was a chocolate smell with yeast tones. I did a SG, check and the mead was at .993, a quick taste and ieven though it was not a pleasant taste, you could taste the chocolate, and only a tiny hint of the honey. I am hoping that as I have read in other recipies, this will age, and begin to taste better as time goes on. Based on the OG and the FG, the alcohol content is over 10%.

I put the airlock on the Chocolate Mead Carboy and began racking the Cinnamon/Apple Mead. Removing the lids was a lot better smelling than the Chocolate but still green smelling of yeast, and cinnamon. A SG reading of .990 was reached, and a taste test was much better than the Chocolate too. Very High Cinnamon flavour, almost a hot cinnamon aftertaste, and some honey flavors, almost no Apple flavours were detected.

Well I put the Airlocks on the recently racked meads, and began figuring out if I should add some extracts to fix the flavors, but figured its way to early to do anything drastic yet.

I will report back over the next year to hopefully provide you with better taste tests, and results of these two meads. I am also going to put up a batch of Plain Honey Mead, and a back up mead, just in case.

Peace all
G

No comments: