Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Bismark sunk :(

As is typical with boats, they do occasionaly sink, and unfortunatly
the double batch of Bismark sunk and went sour.

what happend? not sure, we got the wort down to room tempurature, we
pitched the yeast, and I put it in the lager(fridge) The primary
fermentors bubbled a little and then nothing. Stuck fermentation? not
sure. I think next time I will create a yeast starter for the lagers,
and then pitch. In the past I have pitched the yeast and let it stay
out at room tempurature for a day or so until the fermentation was
going well, then into the lager fridge. I was hoping I could reduce
any dycylic esters by moving to lager temps as quick as possible. But
the White Labs yeast probably isn't enough yeast cells to get
fermentation going strong enough unless a starter is used?

I am going to do some research on this and hopefully find the answer.

No comments: